I am so loving all the sewing for baby cuteness, so I made one more free pattern for you! An adorbs Baby Hat Sewing Pattern with a PDF download including the tutorial! Baby Cap Pattern in sizes preemie through 12 months so it is perfect for infants and big babies. This cute little baby cap is made out of soft knit fabric and comes with a fitted top and a cuff that can be rolled up for more cuteness! As you can see I had a lot of fun making them in a ton of different fabrics (all from spoonflower) and can coordinate with the Knot Bow Headband Pattern and the Knit Swaddle Blanket for the perfect baby shower gift.
The baby hat pattern can be made with interlock knit, jersey knit, or even rib knit (I would size down for this option). I used an organic interlock knit for the batch that I made. Some of my favorite knits are Fabricworm’s organic interlock knits and jersey knits by Art Gallery (so many pretty colors and designs!)
The baby hat can be sewn with either a sewing machine or serger.
If you are new to sewing knits I have included some helpful tools below. The Baby Hat Sewing Pattern PDF comes in several sizes:
- Small Newborn
- Large Newborn
- 3 – 6 Months
- 6 – 12 Months
Have you wondered how to make a cap for a newborn baby at home? The steps are incredibly easy and you will be making them by the dozen!!!
A few notions that are helpful for with sewing knits (*affiliate links):
Find the fabrics used for Baby Hats:
Baby Hat Sewing Pattern Instructions:
How To Sew A Baby Hat
- Fold baby cap pattern piece in half with Right Sides Together.
- Sew along the angled edge using 1/4in seam. Sew both hat pieces this way.
- Once angled edges are sewn, place hat pieces Right Sides Together and sew around the curved edge from one side to another.
- Place cuff pieces Right Sides Together and sew along short edges to form one round (connected) piece.
- Turn hat right side out. Fold cuff along the long side Wrong Sides Together with the raw edges together.
- With Right Sides of the cuff and hat facing each other place the cuff around the Right Side of the hat. The folded edge will be on top with the raw edges on the bottom meeting with the raw edges of the hat.
- Sew the cuff to the at using a 1/4in seam.
******Be sure to make sure that patterns line up before you sew if sewing with directional prints.
***Tips for Sewing with Knit Fabric
- A Walking Foot will help feed the fabric evenly when sewing with knits
- Stretch Thread will keep the seams from breaking.
- Using a Ball Point Needle will help prevent skipped stitches.
Download Pattern Here:
Pin for later: