Learn to sew the CUTEST FREE Top Knot Baby Hat Sewing Pattern! Make this your goto newborn top knot hat for all your favorite little babies.
The FREE Top Knot Baby Hat Sewing Pattern comes with a PDF download including the tutorial! The newborn top knot pattern comes in sizes preemie - 24 months.
The Top Baby Hat would make the perfect baby shower gift and can coordinate with Knot Bow Headband Pattern and the Knit Swaddle Blanket.
Table of contents
Other projects you might like:
- Basic Baby Hat Sewing Pattern
- Sherpa Fleece Baby Blanket Tutorial
- Minky Fitted Crib Sheet Tutorial
- DIY Baby Leggings
- Free Baby Bib Pattern
- Knot Bow Headband
The baby hat can be sewn with either a sewing machine or overlock serger.
If you are new to sewing knits I have included some helpful notions listed below. The Top Knot Baby Hat Sewing Pattern PDF comes in several sizes and options:
- Top Knot Baby Hat Sewing Pattern and Basic Baby Hat Sewing Pattern
- 0 - 3 Months
- 3 - 6 Months
- 6 - 12 Months
- 12 - 24 Months
Baby Hat Pattern Supplies Needed
- Jersey Knit Fabric with at least 50% stretch
- Clear Plastic Ruler
- Rotary Cutter
- Self Healing Mat
- Walking Foot (* Optional but very helpful)
- Pins or Clips
- Stretch Thread
- Jersey Ball Point Needle
- FREE Top Knot Baby Hat Pattern
OR YOU CAN SHOP THE TOP KNOT PDF PATTERN that includes this entire post in a PDF Printable version for only 1.99
Download the Pattern
Find the fabrics used for the Top Knot Hat:
The Fabrics used in this tutorial and video: Peony Paradise fabric line designed by Indy Bloom Design available at Hawthorne Supply Co.
Assemble the Pattern
Or watch the video below for more tips.
******Be sure to make sure that patterns line up before you sew if sewing with directional prints.
***Tips for Sewing with Knit Fabric
- A Walking Foot will help feed the fabric evenly when sewing with knits
- Stretch Thread will keep the seams from breaking.
- Using a Ball Point Needle will help prevent skipped stitches.
- Spray jersey fabric with starch to and press to stabilize and prevent the edges from rolling.
Top Knot Baby Hat Pattern Tutorial Instructions
- Assemble the Top Knot Baby Hat PDF Pattern, being sure to measure the 1" square.
- Place the top knot baby hat top piece parallel to the stretch of the fabric and cut two (2) from the top piece.
- Place the hatband pattern on the fabric fold and cut one (1) hatband piece from the pattern.
- Pin or clip the short side of the baby hatband.
- Place the top knot hat pieces right sides together and pin or clip in place
- Sew 1/4" seam allowance along the short side of the baby hatband piece to form one round (connected) piece.
- Press the seam allowance of the hatband piece open. Fold the hat band in half along the long side Wrong Sides Together with the raw edges together and press.
- Sew 1/4" seam allowance around the perimeter of the top knot hat piece from one side to another leaving the bottom open.
- Turn top knot hat piece right side out being sure to roll the seam allowance out so it lays flat, use a pencil or pointed object to push the top knot out all the way.
- Divide both the hat top and the cuff of the hatband piece into four even quarters and mark with pins.
- With the Right Sides of the hatband cuff and hat facing each other place the cuff around the Right Side of the hat. The folded edge will be on top with the raw edges on the bottom meeting with the raw edges of the hat.
- Line up the four even pin markings and pin the hat and hatband so they are evenly distributed.
- Sew the cuff to the hat using a 1/4in seam.
- Press the seam allowance of the of the cuff upward and press flat.
- Fold the cuff upward and press the whole hat for a nice finish.
- Tie the top knot of the baby hat and you are finished!
Watch the Video Tutorial on Youtube:
***** You can find the Baby Hat Sewing Pattern in the Resource Library.
You also might like: 15+ FREE Baby Hat Patterns and Tutorials
Juliana Cloud says
Hi Shelly, I love how you give so much information and tips and step by step instructions and pictorial and video! Unfortunately, I am unable to find how to download the pattern. I'm following the links, but it comes up with a password protected site...how can I get this pattern? Thanks so much!
I cannot figure out how to find and download the patterns? I have been trying for an hour! Frustrating. I have the password, but cannot get to the page to insert it???
Juliana Cloud says
Never mind, I figured it out!
Awesome! I'm so glad you got it. Thank you for stopping by!
Hi! I subscribed and cannot find where the password was sent to me? Is there a password posted somewhere? I’d love to download the knot hat pattern! Thank you
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH