Zippers can be totally intimidating to beginners. They will and move and never come out as perfect as the ones you see in the store. I have a sewing hack that is going to be your go-to method from now on when sewing zippers. I will show you exactly how to sew a zipper with wonder tape for a perfect zipper installation.
Try using this zipper sewing hack with the Modern Hourglass Quilted Pillow.
Wonder Tape Zipper Supplies
- 1-yard fabric *Fabric shown is Jockey Silks Blue from Melissa Mortenson
- 18" pillow form
- 18" ykk zipper
- Washaway Wonder Tape
- Zipper Foot
How to Sew a Zipper with Wonder Tape Tutorial
- Fold the fabric edges that will form the zipper over 1/2" and press.
- Apply Wondertape on the right side of the fabric on both folded edges.
- Pin the top of the zipper so that it stays together and does not move while sewing.
- Place the zipper face down on the folded edges so that the folded fabric edges are touching. Line up the top of the zipper at the end of the fabric.
- Flip fabric over to be sure that the zipper seam is lined up correctly and press firmly
- Attach your zipper foot to your sewing machine.
- Unzip your zipper a few inches and start sewing down the middle of the zipper with the zipper foot centered where the fabric is joined together. When you get to the zipper pull, backstitch and cut the thread.
- Pull the zipper tab up to the top of the zipper and continue sewing down the length of the zipper. Tip*** Be sure that your needle is about 1/4" from the center of the foot so that you leave enough room to zip up the zipper without the fabric getting caught in it.
- Pivot 1/2" before the end of the fabric and sew across the bottom. Pivot again and sew up the other side of the zipper. When you get to the zipper pull, backstitch and cut the thread. Pull the zipper pull down a few inches so that your machine can sew over it easily. Continue sewing up the length of the zipper.
- Pivot at the top of the zipper and sew across 1/2" from the top fabric edge. Backstitch to secure.
- Trim the zipper ends.
- Finish your pillow or another sewing project as directed in the instructions.
Watch the Zipper Sewing Hack Video
See tutorial in more detail including how I use the exclusive sewing advisor on the Sapphire 965q to find my sewing setting.
Barbara Harris says
Thank You for giving us such an easy tutorial. I sew just about everything BUT zippers and really wanted some help. THANK YOU!!