Are you looking for some Valentine’s Day sewing projects? This mini Free Heart Quilt Pattern is the perfect quick holiday project. You can make this quilt with this easy Heart Block Quilt Tutorial.
I really wanted to make a quilt with happy hearts for Valentines’s Day and of course, it needed some pink in it! I decided my sewing wall could use a mini Heart Quilt in all my favorite colors.
I think my inspiration actually came about a month or so ago when Cassie from Sew Stitching Happy posted this cute little bundle on instagram that had that cute little pink scrabble fabric from Amy Sinbaldi and some black and white fabric in it. Then the heart block quilt tutorial was on its way.
And when I saw this Love text fabric I totally swooned. It is totally the perfect backing fabric for any Heart Quilt Pattern or Valentines Day Quilt. I really could put this on just about everything including these Valentine’s Day dresses.
I also added some corner pockets on the back to hang it with.
I love mixing all the shades of pink but my absolute favorite part is the pop of aqua. But you probably already figured that out 😉
If you own a Cricut Maker check out this version of the Free Heart Quilt Pattern made just for the Cricut Maker. With the Cricut Maker Quilt Pattern, all you have to do is upload the Cricut Quilt Pattern File and the machine will cut the fabric for you. You can see how precisely it cuts in the video below.
Heart Block Quilt Tutorial Supplies Needed:
- (4) 10 x 10 scraps of fabric
- 1 fat quarter of background fabric
- 14 x 14 batting
- 14 x 14 backing fabric
- 1/4 yard binding fabric
Mini Free Heart Quilt Pattern
1. Cut 8 Pieces 3.5” wide by 6.5” height
2. Cut 16 Pieces 1.25” wide by 1.25” height
3. Cut 8 Pieces 3.5” wide by 3.5” height
4. Draw a diagonal line across both the
1.25” and 3.5” squares.
5. Place 3.5” square over the large
rectangle with fabrics facing RST.
Stitch down the diagonally drawn line to form the bottom of the heart block.
6. Repeat for opposite side.
7. Trim fabric 1/4” away from the seam.
8. Open fabric and press flat.
9. Place 1.25” squares on the top corners
with fabrics RST and sew down
diagonal lines as shown.
10. Trim fabric 1/4” away from the seam
on both corners.
11. Open fabric and press flat.
12. Repeat for other side.
13. Place halfs of heart quilt block toghether
with RST. Stitch using 1/4” from top of the block
to the bottom as shown below.
14. Open fabric and press flat.
Repeat step 4 -13 for the remaining three blocks.
15. Make a row of the heart quilt block by placing two blocks RST. Stitch from
top of the heart quilt block to the bottom as shown below.
16. Open blocks and press seam to one side to nest.
17. To attach rows place top row over the bottom row
RST. Make sure blocks are facing the correct
direction. Sew the top edge from left to right using
18. Open and press flat.
19. Make a quilt sandwich placing the backing fabric Wrong
Side Up. Then place the batting on top of the backing. Lay the quilt
top over that. Be sure to cut the backing and batting 2 -3 inches
larger than the quilt top on all sides.
20. Trim and square up the backing and batting to make
edges even with the quilt top.
21. Cut 2 Strips 2.5” wide by WOF. Join edges diagonally to
form one long continuous strip. Fold the strip in half lengthwise
22. Bind quilt and finish the ends using your favorite method.
And you are all done!
Pin the Free Heart Quilt Pattern to make later!