Make a Halloween Pillow DIY! Halloween pillows add such a fun splash of color to your decor. And they are so easy to change the pillowcase out for the current season.
This post is part of the Halloween Sewing and Craft Series. You can scroll to the bottom to see who else is participating. This Halloween Pillowcase DIY tutorial will show you how to make a raw edge pumpkin applique on your pillowcase and comes with a free Pumpkin Applique pattern.
More Halloween Inspired Projects
- Pumpkin Pot Holder Tutorial
- DIY Halloween Iron-On Pillows
- 10 DIY Halloween Trick or Treat Bags
- 25+ Halloween Quilt Patterns to Sew!
It is made to fit an 18" pillow but could probably fit one slightly bigger or smaller as well.
The pumpkin applique piece comes either as a cut file for your cutting machine or a pdf so that if you do not have a cutting machine, you can still make it. You will just have to trace the pattern and do the cutting yourself.
Instead of sewing it, you could also easily use iron-on vinyl. I think the texture of the fabric applique adds a nice touch to the pillow and it is easy to sew since the applique pieces are so large.
Halloween Pillow DIY Supplies Needed
- Steam-a-seam 2 double sided fusible
- 8 x 11 piece of orange fabric
- 6 x 8 piece of green fabric
- 18" square pillowcase in 2" Black Woven Carolina Gingham (I will have a tutorial up soon on how to make a simple envelope pillowcase like the one shown)
- 18" pillow insert
- Pumpkin Applique PDF Pattern or Pumpkin Applique Cut Files (in PNG form): Body and Stem.
Both the Pumpkin PDF and the PNG cut files can be found in the Resource Library
Halloween Pillow DIY Tutorial
- Peel one side of the steam-a-seam 2 off and place on the wrong side of the fabric.
- Iron fusible onto the fabric following the instructions on the package.
- If using a Cricut or other cutting machine, place fabric on the cutting mat. If cutting by hand you will need to trace the applique pattern on the steam a seam before you cut out the pumpkin. You can see how to do this in this Halloween applique tutorial.
- For Cricut users, load the pattern in Design Space.
- Cut out shapes with your cutting machine, so the fusible is on the back of the pumpkin.
- Repeat above steps for the stem
- Peel off the back layer of the fusible and place pumpkin and stem on the pillow.
- Iron into place according to the package's instructions to set the steam-a-seam.
- Sew around the edge of the pumpkin and stem to secure so that it stays in place after washing.
Check out the rest of the
Go check out their posts and get the tutorials/patterns. Also, pin it for later, but be sure to pin from their so it links back to them.
You can see all of Day 1 of the Halloween Sewing and Crafting Series here! And stay tuned for some more great Halloween Inspiration and Tutorials tomorrow.
Halloween Sewing and Craft Party
Check out all the fun Halloween Inspired Tutorials everyone is making!